Re: What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?

Grant Edwards wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what the "hms" target talks to but I'm
not getting very far.  According to the info file it talks to

 "A Hitachi SH, H8/300, or H8/500 board, attached via serial
  line to your host."

One presumes that's overly general, and there actually has to
be some specific chunk of SW running as a ROM monitor on the
board.  What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be
talking to?

It's looking for a human-friendly monitor; "r" for registers, "g" to
execute, etc; basically GDB acts as a fast typist. HMS is a couple
generations back, so it's unlikely that the current monitor is
sufficiently compatible.

1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI" embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is the same thing). Will gdb talk to that? (I'm guessing not.)

At least one person (found via Google) claims that the protocol is
similar to GDB's remote protocol, so maybe "target remote" or
"target extended-remote" will work.

2) If not, can one still get a monitor to which the hms target will talk?

3) Is one better off just burning GDB stubs into flash?

4) Or maybe RedBoot (which contains gdb stubs)?

Apparently HDI source is not available, which means you can't fix target
problems that come up; I'd recommend replacing with your own stubs.

Stan