GDB --> Ethernet --> RV-ICE

Hi again,

Okay, things have changed a little since last time.  I now have to use
the Ethernet connection on the RV-ICE (there is no parallel port) to
connect to GDB.

So, I'm now re-evaluating what I need to alter in GDB.

As I understand it, I should be able to use the 'remote target
host:port" command in order to access the RV-ICE (as I can configure it
with any IP address I want).

Now the RV-ICE connects to my target (an Evaluator 7T from ARM) via a
JTAG, but the protocol for speaking to the RV-ICE (RV-MSG) is very
different from the Remote Serial Protocol (RSP) GDB uses.

I understand that GDB uses these stub files that run on the target in
order to implement the RSP on the target, but I think I'm going to need
something different - correct me if I'm wrong.....

Some sort of buffer C file which acts as a streaming protocol converter,
so that, for example, when GDB requests to view a register, this C file
converts that command into an RV-MSG command and then sends that down
the Ethernet connection to the RV-ICE, that then talks to the target.

Sound possible?

At the moment I'm trying to find out where GDB implements the following
procedures to see if they're compatible with this idea - can anyone
help?

I need to find "intercept points" in the GDB C files so I can just jump
off to my other C file (or function header) which handles the RV-ICE
side.  I'm not sure how easy this is going to be.  I'll have to add
another switch to the command line maybe to tell it to use this
converter, but anyway, here are the procedures (they're all very basic
at this stage):

1) Connect/Disconnect to a processor
2) Download a program
3) View/Edit Processor Registers
4) View/Edit Memory Contents
5) Start/Stop Execution (and single step)

If anyone else has any ideas about how to go about this, I'd be grateful
for some feedback on it.

But any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy