Re: unable to compile gdb 6.0 as a cross gdb; no termcap libraryfound; and plain gcc is still called

Hi Ken,
hmm.  Methinks you could use a Linux expert to sit down with you
and guide you through this stuff.  Failing that, you need
to become an expert.  The learning curve is steep, so put on
your crampons and grab an ice axe!

/etc should not be in PATH; that's a red herring.

More likely, the "no termcap library found" error means
you haven't build a termcap for your target yet.
crosstool-0.24 will install termcap.h and libncurses.so (which
implements the termcap functions) if you pass the --builduserland
option to all.sh.  Did you?

When you run into a configure failure like this one, the thing
to do is to edit the configure script in question, locate the
section that is failing, look backwards towards the top of
the file a bit until you find the beginning of the test,
and add a
  set -x
statement, then run the configure again, redirecting the output
of configure to a file.  This produces reams of output which
you then compare with the configure script to see what it was
testing for, and what failed.

In other words: you have to actually *read* and *understand*
parts of the configure script, not just run it.
It's much easier to do if you also read the configure.in or configure.ac
script, which is what configure is expanded from.

This will cause your head to explode if you do it without first
learning a bit about autoconf.  I'd suggest working through one
of the autoconf tutorials I link to at
http://www.kegel.com/academy/opensource.html#autotools
and writing a trivial configure.ac to make sure you understand
how they work.  (e.g. write a C program that includes the file
<snorglepuss.h> only if it exists; use autoconf's AC_CHECK_HEADERS
macro to check for the existence of <snorglepuss.h>.  This will take several hours
the first time you do it, but it's well worth the effort.)
Think of it as one more little step on the way to becoming a Linux expert.
- Dan

Wolcott, Ken (MED, Compuware) wrote:
Hi Marc;

I think I tried everything that you and Dan suggested, but I have some problems still.

First, there are many initial calls to gcc rather than arm-arm9-linux-gnu-gcc that are suspicious to me. How can I end up with an arm9 native gdb if it is calling the i686 gcc?

Secondly, the build dies with:

configure: error: no termcap library found
make: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1

I have attached the compressed output log and my compile script.

I guess /etc is missing in the PATH environment variable? I'll try that tack next.

Thanks,
Ken