Re: Macro code crasher on re-run

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> > > Right.  sal.symtab is nonzero.  sal.symtab->macro_table, however, is
> > > uninitialized.  The short-circuit if on line 40 does not trigger, but
> > > the remainder of sal_macro_scope assumes that sal.symtab->macro_table
> > > is valid.
> > >
> > > In my case it happens to be 0xB.
> >
> > Every symtab's macro_table field should be initialized, at least to
> > zero.  Which symtab is it?  Who creates it?
>
> If you thought I wasn't making sense, you were right.  I really needed
> some sleep when I wrote that.
>
> My best guess is that the returned symtab belongs to the old (already
> unloaded) binary.  Which would put the bug somewhere else.

I haven't debugged it (only Daniel J. has seen the problem, as far as
I know), but I kind of suspect this change:

2003-10-22  Andrew Cagney  <cagney@redhat.com>

	* target.c (target_close): New function.
	(debug_to_close): Use "target_close".
	(push_target): Use "target_close".
	(unpush_target): Use "target_close".
	(pop_target): Use "target_close".
	* target.h (struct target_ops): Add "to_xclose".
	(target_open): Delete macro.  Move comment to "to_open".
	(target_close): Replace macro with function that takes a target.
	* top.c (quit_target): Pass "current_target" to "target_close".

The to_close method of the "exec" target calls free_objfile, which
assumes that its callers call clear_symtab_users at some appropriate
time.  This change seems to have introduced several new callers to
target_close, so it may have broken that assumption.

Having free_objfile require its callers to take care of things this
way is not very nice.