Re: gdb Digest 7 Nov 2003 16:00:26 -0000 Issue 1325

On Nov 7, 2003, at 10:04 AM, Elena Zannoni wrote:

Jim Ingham writes:
Elena,

On Nov 7, 2003, at 8:00 AM, gdb-digest-help@sources.redhat.com wrote:

the objc support is in gdb mainline and it has been there for a while.
There are some bugs still, but it was merged.
Are you referring to something else?

Yes, I was referring to the very beginnings of Adam's work. Since the
tarball of the Apple sources were sitting on the FSF site, he naturally
started from there. But since they had been sitting for a while, the
first task he faced was reconciling the changes in the relevant areas
of the tarball with the changes in the FSF sources between the time the
tarball was dropped and when he got it. At that time, we were keeping
pretty current with the FSF distro, so we had done this job already -
and the results were readily available in our CVS repository. IIRC, we
figured out what was going on pretty quickly and set him straight, but
that is the sort of pointless duplication of effort that it would be
good to avoid.

I see. Are you still taking the fsf changes on a regular basis? I believe that having a source drop represents also kind of a formal handoff, a sign that Apple was willingly giving some code back to the community, and at least go through the motions, but maybe that's just me.

We got caught up in the flurry of getting the WWDC & then the Panther releases done, so we are about 8 months behind. Klee is busy rectifying this now, though there have been lots of substantive changes - so it is taking him a little longer than he thought it would. I would suggest waiting another couple of weeks before poking around.

Yeah, Andrew said something of the sort last time. The fact that we signed the blanket copyright assignment, and post all the code on a public server with all the proper copyright info in place, plus periodic "Take it, you are welcome..." posts here seem pretty good signs of this to me, however. So I don't see how leaving droppings to rot on your ftp site every so often adds all that much.

Same story for the interpreter stuff which Keith, Andrew and I merged.

I am pretty sure Keith worked from our CVS repository, at least that is
what I urged him to do. By the time you & Andrew got to it, I think
the work was pretty far along, so you probably didn't have any need to
refer to our version.

Yes we worked from the Apple CVS repo. I remember it was quite cumbersome to get to it though, and I forgot the URL.

Yes, for a while the Darwin folks wanted you to get an APSL account to access the repository, so you had to fake an e-mail address, and give them some bogus password. I understand why they did this - getting involved in OpenSource projects was a new thing, and they were trying to get as much supporting info to argue with the more traditional side of the management. But it was a bit of a pain.

Fortunately, the relationship with OpenSource is pretty much a done deal at this point, so they have dropped the requirement.

I think we went through this before, with the previoius tarball.  If
it's too hard a requirement, then let's forget about it. We'll live
with the status quo.

It is obviously not hard but I worry it is likely to be counter-productive. That was what we "went through before" and the event somewhat justified my concerns.

Pointing folks at our CVS repository is much easier, and we even have
anonymous access now for those who don't want to give out their e-mail
addresses...  Plus then they have all the benefits of CVS in trying to
figure out why we did all the screwy things we did...

... the pointer is?

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/tools/cvs/howto.html

Jim
Jim Ingham jingham@apple.com