Re: offline core file analysis from a PPC 440GX target on my Solaris hostsystem

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 04:03:22PM -0800, Marc Paloma wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is it possible to configure a version of GDB for
> "--host=sparc-solaris2.8 and
> --target=powerpc-ibm-vxworks5.5" that can analyze a
> core file from an IBM PPC 440GX embedded system
> offline?   Currently, I'm getting the following error
> from GDB 5.3:
>
>  (gdb) core-file 440gxdump
>  GDB can't read core files on this machine.
>
> (1) Is there any version of GDB which is aware of the
> IBM PPC 440GX processor architecture?  I am aware of
> WindRiver having a version of GDB however,
> their version of GDB does not support the gdb corefile
> functionality.  I'm not interested in remote online
> debugging of the 440GX.  However, I would like a way
> to build a version of GDB which can analyze a core
> file from a 440GX memory dump and be able to do a
> backtrace, info registers, frame into the stack, and
> look at local/global variables.

I do not believe that any PPC VxWorks target supports core files.  You
could try a powerpc-linux debugger but (A) I believe you'll need 6.0
and (B) it is unlikely that it will understand the VxWorks dump notes.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz