About ARM simulator in GDB

Hello everyone:

In my environment ,the gdb is configured as following.
the toolchain is binutils-20030901-1 gcc-3.4 newlib-1.11 gdb-6.0

GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf".

In this toolchain, the target sim is arm.
Without the gdb interface for the sim, i can use the arm-elf-run directly to
run my arm program.
Now, i try to modify the sim code in order to provide the profile function.

For example: i can type "arm-elf-run myprogram", then the profile information
will be generated to store to a file.
In this file, i can get which function use how much instruction and how much
cycle.
If i want to use this profile, i just add some subroutine in the source code
and compile together.
When typing "arm-elf-run my program" ,the result file will be generated.
Anyone can give me some idea , how to modify this code.

                             Thank a lot!!