Re: building snapshot on hp-ux with hp tools

I'm building gdb+dejagnu-20040113.tar.bz2 on hpux 11.11 using
the hp-ux tools, and I'm running into two problems.

(1) expect doesn't build with hp-ux make.
    When I use gnu make, it builds fine.

Does a more up-to-date expect build?
Per http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1349
Will need to merge in changes that get expect/ to link against ../tcl/unix/libtcl*.a instead of the installed tcl.
I've found nothing else (but those configury changes looked nasty :-().

(2) dejagnu doesn't build because it doesn't find a C++ compiler

It doesn't actually need the C++ compiler - its an unnecessary test in one of the subdirectories (examples?). A quick hack may pasify it :-)

I can think of several ways around this:

(A) Make snapshots with no expect+dejagnu, such as gdb-20040113.tar.bz2.
    Since our releases are like that, I think it's okay for our
    snapshots to be like that.

Historically expect and dejagnu have been bundled in with GDB to ensure that all parties are using a consistent test framework. It might be time to cut our losses?

(B) Tell people who use snapshots to remove the expect and dejagnu
    subdirectories before building from source.

It's a workaround.

(C) Upgrade dejagnu in sourceware (and upstream if necessary) to make
    the C++ compiler optional.

Yes, someone was looking at that? (BTW, upstream where?).

Andrew