Re: [Fwd: Re: c++/1512: no canonical way to output names of C++ types]

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:18:22AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > Fixes for this are in progress on drow-cplus-branch.  All the necessary
> > code is there, it just needs to be hooked up :)  I think I've gotten
> > derailed on some other problems first, though.  The basic problem is
> > that we want to canonicalize the names before adding them to the symbol
> > table, and that increases startup time.  I'm looking for ways to shave
> > startup time elsewhere.  I have a few ideas.
>
> If it is going to be so expensive, can it be put off until later, when
> the canonical value is needed?

Possibly.  We search for the canonical form in the symbol table, which
means we need to canonicalize before adding them to the (partial, full,
maybe minimal also) symbol table.  The trick will be delaying the
add-to-symbol-table until the symbol is needed, using a clever trick
suggested by Ian - keeping a list of pending symbols by basename,
basically.

There are some complications.  Particuarly, the code to infer classes'
fully qualified names depends on having the canonical demangled name
available.  I may be able to do something about this but I'm not sure
what yet.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz