Re: handling of absolute source file paths (feature wish/implementationidea)

Gernot Hillier <gernot.hillier@siemens.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:01:14 +0100

3. Implement a new setting "source-absolute-prefix" (analog to the already existing "solib-absolute-prefix") which allows the user to set a prefix for given absolute source code paths.

I like this suggestion the best.  It does exactly what you need here:
allow the source directory tree to be moved deeper in the hierarchy.
Your other suggestion, searching the source path for relative file
names, sounds like an ad-hoc hack to me.

Hmm, we're rapidly accumulating a long list of ways to alter the absolute-prefix. cf also:

(gdb) help set debug-file-directory
Set the directory where separate debug symbols are searched for.
Separate debug symbols are first searched for in the same
directory as the binary, then in the `.debug' subdirectory,
and lastly at the path of the directory of the binary with
the global debug-file directory prepended

and the ./configure option:

--with-sysroot[=DIR] Search for usr/lib et al within DIR.

Might be time for some consolidation:

set absolute-prefix {source,solib,sysroot,debug,all} <path>

(although an immediate source-absolute-prefix shouldn't hurt).

BTW, wasn't there a mechanism for editing/replacing part of the source prefix added, or did that get lost?

Andrew