Re: DW_OP_piece coming in gcc 3.4

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:30:34AM -0700, Fred Fish wrote:
> I've been tasked with fixing this problem, or at least deciding if it
> can be fixed in the amount of time I have available to work on it.

Great!

> I've scanned most of the prior messages on the gdb@sources.redhat.com
> searching for DW_OP_piece.  I intend to go back today and study them
> in detail to get some history on what has been discussed about this
> problem.
>
> If you have contributed to this topic in the past and have some new
> suggestions and/or ideas, or want to contribute, I'd appreciate any
> additional relevant input.

At this point, I believe the correct fix will be mostly contained to
the dwarf2-expr and dwarf2-loc code.  A _complete_ fix will be quite
complicated; enough to print variables will not be too hard, since we
can read them in the LOC_COMPUTED read method, and mark them as
not_lval.

The problem I see with being able to write and fully use such variables
is that we need to audit uses of SYMBOL_VALUE_ADDRESS to find which are
used for full symbols.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz