Re: File locking of target executable

Argh. I always see the answer AFTER I mail to the mailing list. Looks like Windows itself won't let a binary be removed if it's executing. The problem report states that this is happening in the remote case but I just checked and it doesn't seem to be. Must be an error in the bug report.

cheers,

Kris

Kris Warkentin wrote:

I've observed (on Windows at least) that when I'm debugging an executable, I can't delete it. Just having it the executable loaded in gdb is insufficient; it actually has to be running. I didn't see anything on a casual sniff through the source but perhaps I'm missing some sort of lock procedure.

This comes up in the context of Eclipse: if you're debugging a project and try to rebuild, the make fails when it can't unlink the target app. It looks like under some circumstances gdb might use memory mapped files...could that be the culprit?

cheers,

Kris