Re: gdb bus error(core dump), from linking in a library

Grant,

Help!.. gdb keeps core dumping on me(with a bus error). I've stripped the
app down to a hello world c program. It still core'd. I figured out it is a
particular library that I am linking in(pkgl in my below example). Anyone
know why linking in a certain library would cause gdb to core dump? This is
just driving me nuts as I can't stand having to do printf debugging in an
app... I need my debugger! :>

It would be helpful if you sent a copy of your program as well as your library , maybe then we can see what is happening .
I understand that everyone would like to use their "debugger" but (To quote from one of Michaels earlier mails. ) it would help everyone if
you told us about :

 What computer and operating system are you using?
 What compiler are you using to compile 'fun'?
 What version of the compiler are you using?
 What command line switches do you use to compile your program?
 What command line switches do you use to link your program?

Can you make a small sample program which shows this problem?
Then use the 'script' command.  'cat' the program,
compile and link the program, run gdb on the program,
exit 'script', and mail us the typescript.

In this case maybe you can also tell us where we can get the library you are linking in from / version?

cheers ramana

How I compile/link this app.

gcc -c -g ba1_main.c
gcc -g -L/home/gschoep/pkgl/lib -o ba1 ba1_main.o -Bstatic -lpkgl

This is what I get when I run the am in the debugger(it runs fine outside
the debugger)

gschoep@weasel>263% gdb ./ba1
GNU gdb 6.0
conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions. There is absolutely
no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details. This GDB was
configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.9"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /silver/home/gschoep/test/ipc/gdbtest/ba1 Bus error (core dumped)

I am using gcc 3.3.2, gdb 6.0

Any ideas?

Thanks
-grant