How do you debug a shared library if the main app is compiled withoutdebug?

I've written a shared library (ELF/.so), with debug enabled, which is called from a commercial package. I don't have sources for the other vendor's code, and it was (I think) compiled without debug info.

Question: can I use gdb to debug my own code in this environment? If I set 'file' to the name of the vendor's executable then I get a message about there being no symbols. I've tried setting breakpoints in my own code, using a function name or a file and a line number, and then running the main app. I had assumed that the breakpoints would be set when my code is loaded, but this isn't happening - I get a warning about not being able to insert a breakpoint, and a memory access error.

Any ideas? I'm on Linux and gdb 6.0.

TIA

Rick