Using gdb as a trace agent

Hello everyone,

In my quest to get datas out of a program as non-intrusively as possible (I'm trying to get graphes out of the memory manager of an embedded operating system), I'm having a close and interested look at gdb tracepoints. It looks like a great solution, but unfortunately:

- It only works on remote targets, dixit the manual,
- Anyway, no remote target supports them.

Traditional breakpoints with additional commands are just too intrusive to me, unfortunately. Is there anything I missed on the tracepoints front? Or would anyone know a tool that I could use in replacement to gdb to do this? (i.e. getting the values of some variables at some points of the program, without slaughtering the source code).

Thanks for any information,
Alex.
--
Alexandre Courbot - PhD student