Re: Using gdb as a trace agent

Hi Alex,

Alexandre Courbot wrote:

Yep. Here's why it's only been implemented remotely:

Is it possible to use tracepoints remotely as of today? I mean, the code seems to be here in GDB, but is there a target that supports them?

Say I have 2 computers running GNU/Linux and a network connection between them. Can I then use tracepoints to analyze my program as of today?

AFAIK no .

So for native configurations, the challenge is to find a low-overhead
way to handle those traps.  For example, one could add tracepoint
support to gdbserver, but then you'd have one process collecting data
from another process via ptrace or some other system call, and it
wouldn't be very lightweight.

If gdbserver is running on a different host than gdb, then I guess the overhead would be comparable to any other system, right? (just a question, I'm just a regular gdb user for now). So maybe the first thing to do would be to add tracepoint support to gdbserver, since you seem to say it's missing.

On a completely local configuration, the problem is different indeed. Maybe if you can evaluate the amount of data to be collected, you can reserve a large enough area of memory that would receive all the traced datas, without any expression evaluation during collection. Evaluation would occur during data examination, so the program gets disturbed as less as possible while running. Problem: make sure memory doesn't blow up and avoid allocations while debugging. These two reasons are probably what makes tracepoints implementation easier on a distributed architecture.

Well, these are just random ideas. As I said, I don't have a clear idea yet of gdb's internals.

I'm very interested in that anyway. We need here to be able to evaluate our OSes in an easy, non-intrusive and efficient way. GDB has proven it was great even for non-debugging purposes (for instance, introspecting a program and get some datas out of it to be exploited by gnuplot), with tracepoints it would be just *fine*. Oh, and file IOs to write the collected datas into files without debuggee and GDB output with them. ;)

Just saw that there has been some discussion about this subject recently:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2004-01/msg00012.html
Seems the ideas were nearly the same. Did it give some results (i.e. code)?

Well we internally have some code which is slightly dated but should not be too much effort to integrate into the current CVS tree. (The idea was to make gdbserver multithreaded and have a separate thread running which would collect the trace data. That was simpler and easier to implement in a hurry.It should not be too much of a problem to do asynchronous IO with gdbserver too. ) . So that is the current status with respect to the thread that you are referring to . Let me check with the code we have and get back to you. What is the target that you need this for ? good old x86?

cheers
Ramana