Re: [Gdb] removing src/dejagnu, src/expect

Note, there are some local patches to Expect to switch the regular expression engine that Expect uses from the new Unicode aware version back to the original Henry Spencer one that shipped with Tcl 7.x. A copy of the old Tcl regexp code was pulled into the src/ version of Expect. This was done because the new regular expression engine was subtly different from the old one, this might cause spurious testsuite failures. The ChangeLog for this is:

2001-07-09 Ian Roxborough <irox@redhat.com>

        * tclParse-compat.c: New file.
        * tcl_regexp.c:
        * tcl_regexp.h: New file.  Contains Tcl8.0's regexp.
        * Makefile.in: Added new files to be compiled and linked.
        * exp_clib.c (exp_expectl, exp_fexpectl):
        * exp_inter.c (in_keymap, Exp_InteractCmd ):
        * exp_regexp.c (regtry, regdump, regprop):
        * expect.c (parse_expect_args, eval_case_string,
          exp_background_filehandler, Exp_ExpectCmd):
        * expect.h:
        * expect_comm.h:
        * Dbg.c (breakpoint_test, cmdBreak): Use newly built in
          regexp, not external Tcl regexp.
        * exp_tty.c (exec_stty):
        * exp_command.c (Exp_CloseCmd, Tcl_CloseCmd): Handle Tcl API
          changes in Tcl8.3.

I just reran the gdb testsuite - on the Apple gdb but this shouldn't make much difference - with the Expect 5.38 from the SourceForge sources, and with Tcl 8.4.4, also from SourceForge, and I didn't see any new failures compared with the expect & tcl from src/. But this ought to be more broadly tested - and particularly with the gcc testsuite, before you do this switch.

Needless to say, the Expect folks are not very likely to take Ian's patch, since all it does is downgrades the regexp engine - sticking a second copy in the Expect sources... So if there are new failures, then somebody is going to have to go through and clean up the testsuite.

Jim