Branch Stepping

Currently as far as I can see GDB only supports the concept of stepping
a single instruction or symbolically stepping source lines using
breakpoints. For targets that have hardware support to allow the
debugger to be notified when the code has branched I thought it would be
nice to have step command to support this. stepi and si support stepping
a single instruction and I am proposing that there should be support for
stepb and sb to support stepping between branchs. I was just wondering
what anyone else thought about the idea and what the most sensible way
of approaching it was so it is available for all targets?

Any thoughts?