compiling a large program without gdb

Hi,
I have got a 'little' but 'quite-big' code with me
in linux 'c'.
It has many makefiles and more than 25 source files
and some 9 header files. These were all compiled
without gdb settings.
That is, they were not compiled by having GDB in
mind. It has no gdb enable settings in it.
How to simultaneously enable GDB feature in
all of these files and use GDB to debug the
resultant application ?

Any tricks to make the files that were 'without
gdb enabled compilation' to be run under gdb ?
How to enable them by some shortcut methods ?

Kindly let me know and give some ideas too.

Thanks & regards,
karthik bala guru