Re: maint check-symtabs failures -- now what?

I'm chasing an elusive problem in GDB 6.1 (slightly modified, but I
don't think that's the issue here).  The symptom is that one person's
kernels (NetBSD plus a pile of stuff -- big file) generate these
errors:

(gdb) p main
$1 = {<text variable, no debug info>} 0x804372d0warning: (Internal error: pc 0x804372d1 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

<main>

- look over the hopefully still fixed symtab/1519 for clues

- check that the program only contains one type of debug info (.stabs)

Andrew

Some functions suffer from this, some don't.  The compiler is GCC
3.0.1 for MIPS, with stabs.

What's odd is that most of us don't see this, but one person sees it a
lot.

I tried "maint check-symtabs".  I figured that might help, but the
trouble is that it spits out vast quantites of error messages.  Many
of them seem to have to do with type names.  (The same command,
applied to a program built with GCC 3.3.3, dwarf-2, also produces
piles of errors -- but those seem to be ONLY for c++ mangled names.)

I've looked at the symtab stuff in gdb but found it rather opaque,
with three different "symbol tables" that seem to contain 3 different
sets of stuff.

So...

a. Where do I look for this?
b. Would using dwarf-2 be expected to help?
c. Would a newer GDB be expected to help?

paul