RE: "igen vs. cgen?"

Yes.... you will not find any specific document.

I can provide u some idea ... if it helps u
I'll take one example and try to explain u.

000000,5.RS,5.RT,5.RD,00000,100000:SPECIAL:32::ADD
"add r<RD>, r<RS>, r<RT>"
*mipsI:
*mipsII:
*mipsIII:
*mipsIV:
*mipsV:
*mips32:
*mips64:
*vr4100:
*vr5000:
*r3900:
{
------
------
}
The above is existing code for add instruction in mips.igen. You want
that this instruction should be supported by your architecture.

Firstly you need to change configuration files. Firstly add your
architecture based information in configure files in main directory and
sim directory

Example: /src/sim/mips/configure

For mipsisa32 the configuration information is as follows

mipsisa32*-*-*)	sim_gen=IGEN
			sim_igen_machine="-M mips32"
			sim_igen_filter="32,f"
			sim_mach_default="mipsisa32"
			;;

Here sim_gen is simulator generator
Sim_igen_machine will work as a model name ie for mipisa32 the model
name is mips32.
sim_igen_filter is size of instructions
sim_mach_defult is for bfd.

You also define ur architecture. Put yours entry wherever needed in the
configuration files.

Suppose u have defined as followes for architecture xyz

xyz*-*-*)		sim_gen=IGEN
			sim_igen_machine="-M xyz"
			sim_igen_filter="32,f"
			sim_mach_default="mipsisa32"
			;;

Also add this target name in the configuration files in the main
directory
If you want add instruction to be support by ur architecture "xyz"
Than put ur architecture name in the model list as follows

000000,5.RS,5.RT,5.RD,00000,100000:SPECIAL:32::ADD
"add r<RD>, r<RS>, r<RT>"
*mipsI:
*mipsII:
*mipsIII:
*mipsIV:
*mipsV:
*mips32:
*mips64:
*vr4100:
*vr5000:
*r3900:
*xyz: (new architecture)
{
------
------
}

Now if u build gdb for "xyz", this "ADD" instruction will be
supported.If u don't want to support this instruction ... remove ur
model name from here.

Regards
Monika