Re: [proposal/testsuite] require build == host

ac> What do the dejagnu maintainers have to say about the feature?

I haven't asked, but it's a supported feature of dejagnu and I'm
willing to accept that they will keep on supporting it.

It would be useful, just so that we know where they are going.

Dan Kegel is at least one user of dejagnu who uses build != host
with gcc.  He wrote a whole section in his cross-gcc faq about it.
People are testing gcc with dejagnu using build != host,
so it would be good if gdb testing worked in the same environment.

ac> As for a system that would/should use this - djgpp.

You got me there.  It's been a while since I used windows,
but I suspect that windows has telnet/ftp servers.

Eli, is it possible to ftp into a windows box and upload and
download files?  More important, is it possible to telnet into
a windows box and run a command-line interpreter?

This is how the original cygwin testing was done - at a dos prompt.

It looks like I should go with Plan B: file PR's against the
test scripts that don't work on build != host, and eventually
fix them.

For the moment, lets stick with the status quo. Tests are required to work host==build. Having a test work host!=build is an added bonus, but not a requrement. We can hardly enforce host!=build when there's no way to test it and the return on investment is marginal.

Andrew