Re: GDB/XMI (XML Machine Interface)

Hi Alain,

On Aug 11, 2004, at 12:26 PM, Alain Magloire wrote:

Doing a clean recursive decent parser for MI, is actually very simple...
it's just that you have to make n exceptions: inconsitencies, plain bugs,
crap etc .. the inferior output can be intertwine to the protocol, the duality CLI vs MI in an IDE, the OOB(async notifications) being incomplete, the inconsistensies between argument parsing etc ..

I think both Chris and Jim mentioned this already, but it's easy to separate inferior I/O from the MI command stream. The UI sets up a pseudo tty that it controls and uses the gdb "tty" command to redirect inferior I/O to that ptty. Our Xcode UI has been using this technique for at least a couple of years now.

Jason