Re: Remote stub can't single-step, how to tell GDB?

On Aug 12 2004, at 18:36, Daniel Jacobowitz was caught saying:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 02:49:58PM -0700, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> >   /* Single stepping.  */
> >   /* XXX For an RDI target we should ask the target if it can single-step.  */
> >   set_gdbarch_software_single_step (gdbarch, arm_software_single_step);
> >
> > Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Hi Deepak :-)
>
> Does GDB currently send single-step packets to the kgdb stub?  What
> version of GDB are you using?  The call to set_gdbarch_software_single_step
> sets up software (client-GDB-controlled) single stepping, and it should
> not ask the stub to do so.
>
> [GDB's handling of target capabilities in this area is a bit shoddy.
> But here it looks like the default matches what you want anyway.]

You're right. The original stub was written with some ancient (5.x)
version of GDB and it must have behaved differently. Debug remote
on 6.0 shows GDB sending memory read/write commands.

Tnx,
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/

"Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment and
 will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6