Re: GDB/XMI (XML Machine Interface)

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 12:21:44PM -0700, Felix Lee wrote:
> Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>:
> > I believe  that making GDB output XML would almost make it
> > scriptable. Someone writing in perl or java could quickly conjure up
> > some commands and parse the output of GDB in a matter of minutes.
>
> what about MI makes you feel like gdb isn't scriptable now?  MI
> seems pretty easy to pull apart with regexps.

That is ridiculous. Let me make something clear. In order to integrate
GDB with, say perl, you would either

   1. Have to write a parser. (regex, recursive decent)
      BTW, I guarantee the parser will have to be updated with every
      release of GDB.
   2. Do nothing but use the information given to you.
      BTW, you will never ever have to worry about what GDB outputs,
      because it is irrelevant. You get the info you want, and you use
      it.

Bob Rossi