Various problems with gdb

Help!

I have googled this and searched the linux distribution (fedora) mailing list archives. I've checked bugzilla for fedora and gdb.

I am attempting to debug a large (1.2GB) mutithreaded C++ application on Fedora Core 2.

The original version of gdb was: GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.19rh).
The current version of gdb is: GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.1post-1.20040607.8rh).

gdb is unable to set breakpoints in class methods contained in shared libraries. An error similar to "Cannot access memory at address 0x1b3ba" is displayed by gdb. I have seen this question asked but never answered. Browsing the sources it looks like memory_error() is being called by write_memory() that has called target_write_memory(). It returns EIO. Is there a way to alter permissions on the memory segment? Is the loader screwing up? Have I screwed up?

Additionally gdb doesn't handle the symbol table well using a C++ namespace symbol in place of something more reasonable.

Any reasonable suggestions would be greatly appreciated? If this warrants a bug report I will be happy to submit one, I would just like to make sure I'm not doing something silly first.

Please cc me, I am not subscribed to this list.

Rob Shewan

begin:vcard
fn:Rob Shewan
n:Shewan;Rob
org:Advanced Acoustic Concepts
adr:;;425 Oser Avenue;Hauppauge;NY;11788;USA
title:Senior Software Engineer
tel;work:(631) 273-5700
tel;fax:(631) 273-5809
x-mozilla-html:TRUE