Re: Bumping MI protocol

Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net> writes:

> Either one of you, please describe to me which of these questions is
> foolish, and I will clearly explain to you why I need to know this
> information in order to build a front end.

That you need to know this information, or think you need to know this
information, does not imply that it exists. I'm suggesting that MI is
young and unevolved enough that there is no serious body of work in
woking with its evolution. This means that your questions of "What
happens in case X?" are effectively "please spend time deciding what
happens in case X, which has not yet occurred." To put it in other
terms, an unfunded mandate.

I think you'll make much more ground by assuming that none of these
questions have answers, and proposing possible answers (the "can you
use an MI command to check the MI version" thread seems more
productive to me, for example, because it included suggestions whose
merits can be concretely dissussed).

> I am asking because it's not documented anywhere. If
> you want the questions to stop, maybe you will see that there is not
> enough information avaiable for front end developers to figure these
> thngs out.

Yes, I think such things are not documented because they have not been
considered or they have not come up to be handled, not because of a
conspiracy to keep front-end developers in the dark.

        - Nathan