Re: probing GDB for MI versions

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:48:04PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

You seem like you want "more of the old". GDB has come a long way from
the adhoc parsers the front end's had to generate to deal with the CLI.

The MI developers, wise as they are, decided to formalize the way GDB
output's data and front end developers parse it.

> > So, I agree that it can be done, I just think it's a terrible idea.
> > We can do it in a much better way.
>
>   This is an invalid argument.  You'll have to have *some* kind of 'parsing'
> going on in order to interpret the output from gdb that lists the versions
> of MI, no matter whether it's an MI command or a command-line option or
> anything else.  So why you think one of those ways is terrible and the other
> is not, on the basis of this requirement, which is in fact the same in both
> cases anyway, I just don't see.

Getting the data, one line at a time, not in the context of an MI Output
command is fine with me. It has nothing to do with MI and I like that.

I have thought about this long enough to have come to a conclusion. I
think it is silly to add an MI command to GDB that can not be used by a
front end that speaks the MI protocol.

   * Let's make this clear, MI commands are there for front ends that
     speak the MI protocol.

The solution of adding an MI command that can only be looked at by an adhoc
parser and making rules like "the command will never change" is non-intuitive
and confusing. Having a simple mechanism, such as a command line switch or a
new interpreter, would be simple and understandable.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi