RE: Discussion: Formalizing the deprecation process in GDB

>> A running joke between several of the GDB developers at the last GCC
>> summit was that we should present a 1hr paper titled "porting
>> GDB to a
>> new architecture".  Only instead of presenting slides, we'd
>> just write the code.
>
>  I find it hard to believe that's possible for anyone who comes to the code
>from fresh.  You have spent years working with gdb and have the advantage of
>knowing your way round the code, and what the replacements for each
>deprecated thing are; anyone else has to do lots of research.  If there's
>going to be a formalization of the deprecation process, my 'feature request'
>would be that there be one single central place where all deprecated
>features are listed together with brief pointers to the new functionality
>that has taken their place.

I also have been looking for this kind of document as I have come across
deprecated functions. As I couldn't find something I started using them
knowing that the code won't be accepted like this. Following now this
discussion that would mean that I haven't read the accompanying
comments of the deprecated functions or I would have seen the proposed
replacements. I guess I need to look harder. So even if you don't come
to a conclusion you have helped a newbie :)

Thanks

bye  Fabi