Re: Discussion: Formalizing the deprecation process in GDB

> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:17:35 -0700
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@gnat.com>
> Cc: 'Andrew Cagney' <cagney@gnu.org>, 'Eli Zaretskii' <eliz@gnu.org>,
> 	gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> Then if you want to know more, you just go to where the entity is
> defined, and look at the comments there.

Reality check: could you please look thru the files that define those
deprecated functions and tell how many of them have comments which
actually tell what code should replace them?  I just took a quick look
and found that the vast majority of them don't have any such
commentary at all.

> In any case, the main debate between Andrew and Eli is not about where
> to put the information, but *when* it is ok to decide that something
> is declared deprecated.

Indeed.