Re: probing GDB for MI versions

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 02:53:29PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Yes, it's good enough.  Either:
>
> - GDB is started with -i=mi; gdb reports its version (if anything I'd be
> relying on the GDB and not the MI version); your code adjusts

This case does not make sense for the task I am hoping to accomplish.
It does not allow the front end to figure out what tested versions of
the MI protocol a particular GDB supports.

The only thing this does is tell the front end what version of MI that
GDB will be speaking. This is necesary but it is a different problem
than I am trying to solve.

If you added this to the MI protocol, which I think it should be, it
still does not solve the problem of finding out what tested versions of
the MI protocol GDB supports.

> - GDB is started with -i=miX; gdb either barfs or soldiers on; your code
> adjusts

Yes, this case makes sense. I am not interested in the case were the
user asks for a particular version of the MI protocol.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi