GDB 6.4 and translations

Just so everyone is on the same page with this challenge.

GDB 6.3 is going to include a .pot file:
$ bunzip2 < gdb-6.2.90.tar.bz2 | tar tf - | grep gdb.pot
gdb-6.2.90/gdb/po/gdb.pot
(it's generated as part of the release process) but won't include any corresponding translation.

Going on to 6.4, we'll need to quickly and efficiently:

- mark up a sizeable portion of the text
- ship the .pot file off for translation
(actually I've been asked to point at a download area - hence .50 and snapshots/ directory changes) (I've not yet pushed a gdb.pot file because it is effectively empty)
- wait for the translations
- integrate requested text changes and prototype text

and then iterate a bit. There are two time consuming tasks here:

- mark up text
- translate

For the second of those - translate - the translation project [understandably] asks that they be allowed a significant amount of time (months not weeks) for their work. Because of this, we'll need to complete the bulk of the mark-up (create .pot files) very early in the 6.4 release cycle as otherwize we'll find ourselves either squeezing the translation group's schedule, or having to let the translations slip out to 6.4.1,.2,....

enjoy,
Andrew