Re: GDB is the GNU project's native debugger

Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> writes:

> GDB is the GNU project's native debuger.  While we're certainly happy
> to accomodate people using GDB as either an embedded debugger or
> native debugger on other systems, the need to persue GDB as a native
> debugger on GNU systems must be our first priority.
>
> Do we all agree with this?

While I think we all agree with this in some sense, I think you should
spell out where you are going with this.

For example, it would be easy to use this statement as the motivation
for removing features required for using gdb for embedded systems, or
on Windows.  I don't think that would be appropriate.

If you want to state that, where there is a direct and immediate
conflict between the needs of GNU systems and the needs of other
systems, the needs of the GNU systems take priority, I could support
that.

If you want to state that this applies to considerations of resources,
and of which parts of gdb to mark obsolescent, I could not support
that.

Ian