Re: Can we have the intl directory back?

> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:01:20 +0100 (CET)
> From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@gnu.org>
> CC: ian@wasabisystems.com
>
> So can we please add back the intl directory?

The problem with that is, Andrew says GDB will not build with that
intl directory on systems that actually need it (i.e. those which
don't have intl installed somewhere).  See the thread that started
here:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-07/msg00442.html

(and whose first message points to the Gnat report that describes the
problem), and the solution Andrew described at the end of the thread:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-08/msg00154.html

> The alternative of checking whether an installed intl is available
> would be acceptable too, but that requires coordination with
> binutils, since we'd have to duplicate that logic for the bfd
> subdirectory too.

I think this is the way to go, even if it is a bit harder.

But what bugs me is that in the latter of the above 2 messages, Andrew
says that the original intl/ directory would not build on non-GNU
systems, while you seem to say that it won't build without...  I think
we need to establish what is going on here, before we decide how to
fix it.