Re: Branching

Paul Schlie wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:
I made a new remote target for gdb that runs a hardware in-circuit
emulator. I might add a software simulator target too.

Is it usual to create a 'branch' of gdb for this? The files i
work on are new ones that aren't a normal part of gdb.

Sounds interesting, but out of curiosity, why need a branch, as opposed
to aggregating target specific files into a configuration/ target-specific
directory, (just as arguably many of the target-specific files presently
scattered throughout gdb's source directory could/should also be)?

I only followed the way things are currently done with files for other remote targets.

The only reason for considering a branch is i thought maybe there was
some standard way of accessing it from where ever gdb sources are
currently hosted (i haven't done much cvs stuff).

Section 15 of gdbint manual talks of branches:

  15.4.1 Guidelines
  gdb permits the creation of branches, cut from the cvs repository, for experimental develop-
  ment. Branches make it possible for developers to share preliminary work, and maintainers
  to examine signicant new developments.

     The following are a set of guidelines for creating such branches:
  a branch has an owner...

I was wondering if "experimental development" included adding new targets to gdb,
without modifying the existing gdb files. Having an experimental branch could make
it easier for one to check it out and work on it. The only other way i suppose is
to keep the patches on sourceforge or somewhere?