Re: Macraigor Raven JTAG hardware

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 04:45:39PM -0800, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> The Macraigor Raven is a JTAG debugging device that I'd like to use to
> debug an ARM7 target. It requires a small proprietary program,
> OCDRemote, that translates GDB-speak to some parallel port witchery.
> Is there an open-source replacement for this program available
> anywhere? It seems it shouldn't be terribly difficult to reverse
> engineer [1] their parallel port protocol by spewing some debug output
> from the Linux parallel port driver. Any chance GDB could some day use
> the Raven natively?

I don't know of any open source alternative.  It might be possible to
reverse engineer, but I'm not going to go there...

> Alternatively, who can recommend a cost effective way to debug the
> ARM7 using Linux, GDB, and JTAG? I have up to about a thousand bucks
> to spend on this project, but many JTAG devices cost a heck of a lot
> more than that.

The only JTAG device I've heard anything about is the Abatron BDI2000,
and its users swear by it.  I think it runs above your budget, though.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC