Re: Broken MI output

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Bob Rossi wrote:

> A target program most likely has a special form of I/O, which is
If gdb was attached to running process - yes, the program has own IO from
the starting time and gdb/MI has it's own IO - all is fine here.

> redirected through GDB. A program running on the host outputs directly
> to the terminal, and it's impossible for GDB to know anything about it.
But if the debuggee is started inside gdb it shares the same tty with the
debugger.
The problem of breaking MI grammar with inferior output, can be solved
adding a pipe to/from the inferior, monitoring the pipe and quoting target
output.

> When GDB is in MI mode, why couldn't it put a pty between the inferior
> and itself.
And redirect it to the same terminal, where gdb is started? Or where?

The only reasonable solution I see here is to have distinct ttys for a
inferior (that is controlled by the operator) and for gdb (that is
controlled by a GUI using MI).

Konstantin.