Re: patch review time

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:41:10PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:26:00 -0500
> > From: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
> > Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com

> > > I think I generally review all patches within my responsibility and/or
> > > area of expertise with the same speed, not only the doco ones.
> >
> > I think you are missing the point here Eli.
>
> No, I'm not: _you_ are.
>
> All I wanted to say that _my_ review time is short no matter if it's
> with documentation or code patches.  In other words, I was protesting
> against your saying that just my _doco_ patches are fast enough.

Eli, what I'm trying to say is that the only thing *I* notice that get's
done fast is your doco patches for me. I was certainly not trying to say that
you don't do your other patch reviews fast. This complaint of mine is
specifically subjective, since I only know what's not being done fast
enough for me.

So when I say you are "missing the point", what I really mean to say is,
my above complaint wasn't about you doing your job well, it's about GDB
patch review time, for me, being to slow.

Sorry for the confusion.

> > Even in that respect, Andrew himself stated,
> >
> >    It's taken us three months to get through files a-c, simple math tells
> >    us that at that rate we'll finish sometime on '07.  I don't think so.
>
> Please don't start that again.  I told you right there and then that
> the i18n changes Andrew was referring to were going slow because of
> those who made changes, not because of the review process, since my
> comments on the i18n-related patches were posted at most a couple of
> days after the RFA, and normally just a few hours after the RFA.

Then let me ask you a qustion. Why did he not bother to get them
reviewed?

> > I'm calling for some type of action that will allow me to get some
> > real work done on GDB.
>
> Unfortunately, your changes are outside my authority and pretty much
> outside my expertise.  Otherwise, they would have been reviewed eons
> ago.

Well what should I do? Honestly, waiting months for patch review time is
unacceptable. It would be helpful if the patches could be reviewed, on
average, in just a few days.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi