Re: MI starting guide

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 06:48:27PM -0500, Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati wrote:
> Hello,
> I have looked around for documentation to help me get started with using
> the GDB/MI interface. I found material that described the interface in
> general (command interface/ usage scenarios etc), but failed to address
> some basic questions (that might have been considered trivial). For one,
> how does a user process wanting to interact with GDB using the MI do so
> (pipes?). Any 'hello world' document that walks me through a basic session
> would be greatly useful. Please let me know if there is one I can refer
> to.

There is no user document that I know of that describes how to write an
FE on top of GDB using the MI interface besides the manual.

AFAIK, FE's use fork/exec with GDB and communicate with it over a pipe
like you suggested. Beware, some of the MI commands that the manual says
are there are unimplemented.

If you want to see some interaction between GDB and another process look
at the gdb.mi testsuite.

Bob Rossi