Re: MI starting guide

> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:40:54 -0500
> From: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
> Cc: bpisupat@cs.indiana.edu, gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> Honestly Eli, there are so many improvements that we could add, the sky
> is the limit. In fact, I have several ideas of improving the MI
> interface doco, of course, none of this will get done if the patch review
> time issue isn't resolved.

There's no need to wait for the patch review issue to get resolved.
Since I'm the area maintainer for the documentation, I can approve
doco patches myself.  And I usually review such patches the moment I
read them.

>    - obviously a section on 'asycnronous' MI interface, which I still
>      don't understand the purpose of (since I can't get any of the
>      asynchronous commands to work)
>    - make sure that the documented "example" commands section stay up
>      to date with what GDB actually outputs. I have a funny feeling that
>      many of the commands do not actually output the same info anymore.
>      (we could generate the example data from a testsuite case, and diff
>      what GDB currently outputs to what it is supposed to output to
>      make sure the data doesn't change)
>    - Document what MI commands are implemented/unimplemented
>    - Document the correct MI output command grammar (which is almost
>      correct, but not really)
>    - Somehow document what versions each command was introduced in
>    - A developers howto guide (Although, I think the reference
>      implementation I was talking about would be a better way to
>      describe this)
>    - Document what MI fields are mandatory output for a command, and
>      which ones are optional.

These are all good ideas, so feel free.  I suggest to pick up some
aspect of MI that you know best, or that doesn't require a too deep
knowledge of the implementation (e.g., the implemented/unimplemented
thing), and start with that.