Re: GDB asks for term lib

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:57:44AM -0300, Pablo Silva wrote:
> Daniel, I have this lib installed, do you have anything suggestion? :(
>
> thanks a lot
>
> On 4/12/05, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:49:29AM -0300, Pablo Silva wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I want to build gdb 5.0  for ARMulator using my ubuntu (Hoary
> > > Hedgehg) the gdb asks for a term lib:
> > >
> > > checking for tgetent in -lncurses... (cached) no
> > > checking for tgetent in -lHcurses... no
> > > checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> > > checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... (cached) no
> > > checking for tgetent in -lcurses... (cached) no
> > > checking for tgetent in -lterminfo... no
> > > configure: error: Could not find a term library
> > > Configure in /gdb-5.0/gdb failed, exiting.
> > >
> > > What lib should I take?
> >
> > The first one it checked for?  You want libncurses5-dev, assuming
> > Ubuntu has not renamed the package.

I have a few quick suggestions. If you have libncurses5-dev installed
there is several quick things you can do to see if everything is OK.

Create a Hello World ncurses application and try to link it. This will
make sure that your ncurses library is installed properly and the
compiler can find it. If it does compile properly, use ldd on the
program to figure out if it's linked against ncurses.

Or you can run ldd on vim, to see what ncurses library or compat library
it's linked against.

I notice it says (cached) next to the ncurses check. Did you
install the library after you realized you didn't have ncurses
installed? If so, start from a new builddir and try again.

Finally, it's unlikely but possible that the configure rule to check for
libncurses is broke.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi