Viewing xmm registers on x86-64

My apologies if this matter is covered in the manuals or somewhere else
but I have spent hours googling for the solution.  I have found many
compliants but no solutions.

I am trying to port an application that uses MMX/SSE to the AMD64
platform and I cannot look at the xmm registers in any way that makes
sense.  gdb insists on displaying the values as floats.  I know that the
registers that AMD64 uses for x87 and MMX/SSE instructions are the same
but nothing in my program uses floating point math.  When looking I get:

(gdb) p /x $xmm4
$9 = {f = {0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0}}
(gdb) p  $xmm4
$10 = {f = {4.48415509e-44, 0, 0, 0}}

Is there some way to get the hexi-decimal values of these registers?

Thanks much,
--
Tres