Re: Ignoring packet error, continuing... with --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 --target=i386-coff using GNU gdb 4.17-intelp2-990419

Hi Vinay,

The response you are going to get is "Your version of GDB is 6 years old, we suggest you upgrade to a newer version and try that".

Ignoring packet error, continuing...

means your target is sending data that your version of GDB doesnt like. This is possible because your target is newer that the version of GDB you are using, and the Remote Protocol probably has changed in the last 6 years. At least to the extent that there may be new features or replies your old version of GDB doesnt support. It could also be for any number of other reasons, all of which, including this one, would be speculation.

The only way you are going to track this is turn on Remote Serial protocol debuging (I dont know how to do this in V4.17, check your docs) and then look at the messages your version of GDB is sending, and what it is receiving in reply, and what it expects to receive. (Again check your docs, the remote serial protocol should be documented in there). You also may want to check the code, sometimes things like case sensitivity of hex numbers, and the like arent well documented. So your target sends a hex number in uppercase, but for that response GDB only likes lower case (that sort of thing). So if it looks right with your understanding of the doc, check the code for more enlightenment. If its this sort of thing, you will have to either modify your target, or GDB so they can understand one another.

I know this isnt a very helpful reply, but is there any reason why you have to use a 6 year old version of GDB? If you can use a newer version, you might want to try that, and save frustration. You may be left with the same problem, but at least you will know it isnt because of your vintage GDB.

Steven Johnson

Setty, Vinay J (Vinay)** CTR ** wrote:

Hi all,
I am using GNU gdb 4.17-intelp2-990419 with --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1
--target=i386-coff configuration options and my target intel pentium II
achitecture is connected throught an ethernet serial port. and I am running
gdb client in solaris workstation. The problem is whenever I try to give any
command in gdb clinet I get the following error. some times I am able to set
the break point but if I give continue it doesn't stop at the break point.

The error is :
Ignoring packet error, continuing...