Re: remote debugging symbol problem

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:01:33 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> > (gdb) target remote 10.16.10.237:2345
> > Remote debugging using 10.16.10.237:2345
> > 0x0fe896a0 in ?? ()
> > warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
> > GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
> > and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
> >
> > My understanding is that the warning is simply because the standard
> > libraries aren't compiled with GDB support. This used to happen even when
> > it worked so I'm not concerned about it (should I be?).
>
> You should be.  This means that GDB has not found your target
> libraries.

If this is the cause, shouldn't GDB tell that explicitly?  I mean,
it's quite hard, given ``unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint
function'' to figure out that the reason is a failed search for the
libraries, except perhaps for wizards such as Daniel ;-)

Should we teach GDB be more explicit here?