Re: [discuss] Support for reverse-execution

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Johan, when I sketched out some algorithms for implementing these
commands, I got the feeling that this was not a good way to do it.
There are just too many ways to jump, and they can be pretty tricky to
recognize on some architectures.  PowerPC is easy, but it's a little
more complicated to disassemble starting from the end of an instruction
on ia32.  Here's another one that requires absolutely no target support:
> [...]

Yes, I'm well aware of this.

> [...]
i.e. build reverse-next on top of reverse-finish.  reverse-finish
should take you to the intermediate caller in a tail call situation,
not to the previous frame on the stack.

This approach has also crossed my mind, and minimizing the need for target dependent code is worthwhile goal. I'll see if I can hack something up during the weekend. I guess the changes should not be that big.

~j