Re: [discuss] Support for reverse-execution

> Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:30:16 +1000
> From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw@netspace.net.au>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> It'd be better to store the state of every step in to a circular buffer
> of size 1000 (the user could change that size with a command).

When you say ``it'd be better'', what is the alternative that you
think is worse than your suggestion?  What I wrote didn't say how many
previous states to remember, nor what data structure to use for that.

Also, I hope you don't mean ``every step'', but rather ``every stop''.
What I suggested didn't involve single-stepping the program, so GDB
can only collect the target state when the target stops, not after
each instruction.

> That way, there's only one backwards command to remember, and maybe a
> command to change the history buffer size.

That's essentially what I suggested: to have a single command to go
back to one of the places where we have enough information to restore
the target state.