Where to start

Dear all,

I have to ( ok, it's an interesting thing, isn't it )
to port the gdb to a Platform where it does not
exists. I speak about the mips-x, whitch is different
to the well-known misp.

We use a product whith an embedded mipsx-core. The
compiler is the gcc3.1.

A College will write the stub ( will try to ), I will
work on the "client" side.

A simple question: Where to start. Of course I looked
into the official manuals, "Porting the gdb" or
simthing like this. But there are so many
informations... hard to find really a good "Starting
point".

Thanks for any helps / recommands.