Re: single-stepping remote target fails

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:18:28AM -0400, Chad Phillips wrote:
> Problem 1.
> Single stepping in C source only steps by single machine instruction.  I
> had expected that GDB might try to set breakpoints on the next
> instruction and then continue, but I see no such requests from GDB.  How
> does GDB cause single steps through C (any high level language) source?

It does hardware single steps until the source line of the $pc changes.

> Problem 2.
> When I issue the step command (or si, n, ni) to the target, GDB does a
> _lot_ of memory reads.  It reads from the start of main up to the
> current PC (in main).  What is it doing, and how can I make it stop?

Preumably it is doing prologue analysis.  You need to work out (A) why
it triggered the prolgoue analyzer and (B) whether you should be using
unwind information instead of prologue analysis.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC