GDB Remote network strangeness...

I'm using cross GDB with a remote stub over TCP.

When I use it on a windows XP machine with hardware serial ports it works fine.

When I use it on an XP laptop with a USB serial port adaptor it does not work.

If I unplug the usb serial adaptor it does work.

The strange part is that I'm using a TCP connection, gdb is not using the serial port at all,
yet it seams that the remote protocol stuff (origionally written for serial I/O)is still doing something
with the serial subsystem when in TCP mode.

I've looked at the remote target stuff and it looks fairly tightly coupled to the
serial system with a hack like bypass to use TCP when TCP is specified.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this serial glich
I'm about to start tearing into the code and am open for suggestions as to where to look.

Paul