Re: show inferior-tty

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 02:13:57PM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:

> Firstly a doc error (GDB/MI -inferior-tty-show):
>
>    The corresponding GDB command is `show inferior-tty /dev/pts/1'.
>
> should presumably read:
>
>    The corresponding GDB command is `show inferior-tty'.

OK, this looks like a good change. I'll also make this.

> Secondly, if I don't set the tty, I get:
>
> (gdb) show inferior-tty
> Terminal for future runs of program being debugged is "".
>
> I think that it should still display a value.  Also perhaps it could just
> say e.g
>
> Terminal for future runs is "/dev/pts/1".

Well, I think this is just preference. GDB has worked like this for
years. I don't mind it the way it is, but if others want it changed,
that's fine too.

> With MI, if I don't set the tty, I get:
>
> (gdb)
> -inferior-tty-show
> ^done
> (gdb)
>
> Even if its still considered inappropriate to give a value in this case, I
> think it should give a value e.g.
>
> (gdb)
> -inferior-tty-show
> ^done,inferior_tty_terminal=""
> (gdb)

This sounds reasonable.

> Incidentally, I don't see the need for this MI command or -inferior-tty-set
> because:
>
> (gdb)
> -gdb-set inferior-tty /dev/pts/1
> ^done
> (gdb)
> -gdb-show inferior-tty
> ^done,value="/dev/pts/1"
> (gdb)

I was told that it would be a good idea not to bring/use the set/show
variables in GDB/MI. Although, I could have misunderstood the advice
given to me.

Bob Rossi